Tsugaru Lacquer Ware
The making of this ware dates back to the beginning of the 17th century, when the fourth generation of leaders of the Tsugaru clan engaged craftsmen skilled in the making of lacquer ware. A production center became established toward the end of the 19th century and the craft developed from the traditional skills which had been acquired over the preceding period of approximately 300 years.
Hidehira Lacquer Ware
This lacquer craft really began when Ohshu Fujiwara wielded power over Hiraizumi in Iwate Prefecture toward the end of the Heian period (794-1185). It was he who lent this support to the building of the temple, Chusonji with its famous Konjikido and many fine pieces of Buddhist art in general.
Joboji Lacquer Ware
Joboji Nuri takes its name from the Joboji family which ruled the northern part of Iwate Prefecture during the middle ages, and it is also the name of the area.
Naruko Lacquer Ware
At the beginning of the 17th century, the lord of the fief in the area where Naruko is situated, dispatched lacquerers and maki-e craftsmen to Kyoto to develop their skills, in an attempt to raise the popularity of the local product. According to a late 18th century document various household items were being produced and by then the production of lacquer ware was the main employment for the people of Naruko.
Kawatsura Lacquer Ware
The beginnings of this craft go back to the Kamakura period (1185-1333), when the younger brother of the lord of the fief who ruled this area, ordered the retainers to take up lacquering pieces of armor and weaponry as a job, using locally tapped lacquer and Japanese beech cut from the mountains in the area. The making of bowls began in earnest in the middle of the Edo period (1600-1868) and by the end of the period work was concentrated on the three districts of Kawatsura in what is now Inakawa-cho, Odate and Minashi and the making of everyday pieces of household goods flourished in what had become a production center.
Aizu Lacquer Ware
It was the planting of lacquer trees promoted by a powerful local family during the Muromachi period (1392-1573) that led to the making of Aizu Nuri. Then, when Gamo Ujisato who hailed from present-day Shiga Prefecture arrived to head the Aizu clan in the Momoyama period (1573-1600), he brought skilled lacquerers to this northern region from Shiga. Their skills were disseminated and as a result of fostering the development of techniques in crafts using lacquer, Aizu soon became a production center for all kinds of lacquer ware.
Kamakura Carved and Lacquered Ware
When Zen Buddhism was introduced from China during the Kamakura period (1185-1333), many arts and crafts were imported at the same time. Sculptors of Buddhist images and carpenters who built temples and shrines were influenced by examples of carved lacquer ware called tsuishu and tsuikoku that were amongst these Chinese imports.
Odawara Lacquer Ware
The earliest examples of this ware were pieces of lacquered turned goods made from the plentiful supplies of wood available from the mountains around Hakone in the Muromachi period (1333-1568).
Murakami Carved and Lacquered Ware
The Murakami area of Niigata Prefecture has been well known since the Heian period (794-1185) as a natural lacquer producing area. Using this refined sap, Murakami Kibori Tsuishu dates back to the beginning of the 15th century.
Niigata Lacquer Ware
Techniques were originally introduced from other centers where lacquer ware was being made at the beginning of 17th century but in 1638, a specialist area for the selling of japanned goods was established under the name of a ""bowl store"" in what is now Furumachi, and received official protection. By 1819, the craft was well enough established for a list of ""master lacquerers"" to be recorded.
Kiso Lacquer Ware
It was the beginning of the 17th century when this craft got its start, very much founded on the plentiful supplies of local Japanese cypress for the production of carcasses for goods rich in local color. Subsequently the craft developed under firm patronage from the Owari Tokugawa clan through the Edo Period (1603-1868) and this craft became popular with those travelling along the Nakasendo Highway.
Takaoka Lacquer Ware
This lacquer craft started at the beginning of the Edo Period (1600-1868), when the lord of the Kaga clan wielding power over the Hokuriku region built Takaoka castle in what is now Takaoka City. It was then that lacquerers began making all manners of household goods as well as chests and lacquered items of armor and weaponry.