Suruga Bamboo Ware
Suruga Takesensuji Zaiku dates back to the beginning of the Edo period (1600-1868) when warriors almost exclusively made bamboo goods as a side job in more peaceful times. In the 19th century, the feudal lord in Okazaki, who was skilled in the art of bamboo weaving, passed on his techniques to Shimizu Inobei. Using these techniques, he made candy bowls and insect cages to sell to travelers on the Tokaido, the main road between Kyoto and Edo.
Suruga Hina Doll Fittings
Paraphernalia for the Hina Matsuri or doll festival was already being produced in Suruga in the 16th century when Imagawa was feudal lord of this province that corresponds to present-day Shizuoka Prefecture. With the construction of Kunosan Toshogu shrine and the Asama Shrine, many advanced craft techniques were introduced from all over the country and the production of Hina paraphernalia developed as part of the lacquer ware industry which, benefiting from the warm humid climate of the area, became established during the Edo period (1600 -1868).
The roots of Suruga Hina Ningyo can be traced back to simple clay dolls known as neri-tenjin. Tenjin is another name for Sugawara Michizane, a Heian period (794-1185) scholar, who was respected as a god of learning. But the craft itself started when a local man called Aono Kasaku gathered around him people skilled in making things in clay and began making dolls. Then tenjin, which were dressed, were made and examples dating back to 1853 still exist today.