Awa Indigo Cotton
This Awa Shoai Shijira Ori was developed from a striped cotton cloth called tatae-ori that was being extensively woven throughout the Awa area at the end of the 18th century. Various reasons have been put forward as to why this development took place but it seems likely that is was the result of finding that when wet cloth was dried in the sun, it produced an interesting natural crepe effect.
When the head of the Tokushima fief ordained that porcelain in the style of Nanking and Karatsu Yaki should be produced in 1780, craftsman were brought in from the island of Kyushu, a kiln was built and production began.
A 9th-century document confirms that the history of Awa Washi goes back some 1,300 years to times when a family known as Inbe serving the Imperial court, was growing flax and paper mulberry and producing cloth and paper.