Takaoka Lacquer Ware
This lacquer craft started at the beginning of the Edo Period (1600-1868), when the lord of the Kaga clan wielding power over the Hokuriku region built Takaoka castle in what is now Takaoka City. It was then that lacquerers began making all manners of household goods as well as chests and lacquered items of armor and weaponry.
When the highly skilled carpenters of Inami were rebuilding the main worship hall at Zuizenji temple after it had been destroyed by a fire in the middle of the 18th century, some woodcarvers with official patronage were dispatched from Kyoto to help with the work and it is thought that the carving techniques they passed on to the local carpenters marked the beginnings of woodcarving here.
Takaoka Bronze Casting
Takaoka Doki dates back to the beginning of the Edo period (1600-1868), when the Maeda clan in Kaga invited seven highly skilled metal casters from a long established metal casting area to come and work at a newly opened workshop.
Written during the Nara period (710-794), reference is made to papers from this area in such ancient documents to be found in the Shosoin Repository in Nara. Further evidence of the long history of Etchu Washi can also be found in the Heian period (794-1185) document on court protocol, the Engishiki, in which it is recorded that paper was used to pay taxes.
At the end of the 16th century, timber used by the Kaga clan, which governed the area mainly in the south of present-day Ishikawa prefecture, used the Shogawa river to float logs down stream. This is how the handling of timber began and the logs were stored in a pool within the district of Shogawa-cho, which became the largest collection point for timber in the Hokuriku region.