Ryukyu Bingata Dyeing
The origins of Ryukyu Bingata dyeing can be traced back to the middle of the 15th century, when King Shoen was on the thrown. The court gave its unfailing patronage to the craft and according to a 1802 chronicle, Ryukyu Bingata was called a "floral cloth of the east" and was highly regarded at the market in Fuchien, China.
In the second half of the 17th century, the scattered potteries of Chibana in Misato, Takaraguchi in Shuri and Wakuta in Naha were brought together by the King of Ryukyu and a new center was established in what is now Tsuboya.
Ryukyu Lacquer Ware
It is thought that Ryukyu Shikki developed with the sending of tributes to China that began in the 1300s. In 1609, the court of Shuri established a lacquer ware workshop and this led to the production of goods which were both technically and artistically of a high standard. In addition, there was also a private industry centered on the Wakasamachi district of Naha.