Edo Cut Glass
It is said that the origins of Edo Kiriko date back to 1834 when a Kagaya Kyubei, who was working in a small glass works in Edo (Tokyo), copied a piece of English cut glass. It also seems that Commodore Matthew Perry, who arrived in Japan toward the end of the Edo Period (1600-1868), was very surprised when he was presented with a splendid piece of Kagaya's cut glass.
Echizen Forged Blades
When a swordsmith from Kyoto came to this area in search of raw materials at the beginning of the Muromachi period (1392-1573), it seems they made some sickles of the local farmers and this marked the beginning of forging in the area. During the Edo period (1600-1868) with patronage from the Fukui clan, blades made in Echizen were sold all over the country.
It is thought that Mino Washi dates back to the Nara period (710-794), because records at the Shoso-in Repository show that it was used for a census during the 8th century. By the Muromachi period (1392-1573) the Rokusaiichi paper market was being held. This was set up by the locally influential Toki Nariyori and Mino Washi were shipped to Kyoto, Osaka and Ise, making it one of the best known papers of its times.
Kawatsura Lacquer Ware
The beginnings of this craft go back to the Kamakura period (1185-1333), when the younger brother of the lord of the fief who ruled this area, ordered the retainers to take up lacquering pieces of armor and weaponry as a job, using locally tapped lacquer and Japanese beech cut from the mountains in the area. The making of bowls began in earnest in the middle of the Edo period (1600-1868) and by the end of the period work was concentrated on the three districts of Kawatsura in what is now Inakawa-cho, Odate and Minashi and the making of everyday pieces of household goods flourished in what had become a production center.
Edo Art Dolls
In the middle of the Edo period (1600-1868), a priest called Takahashi Tadashige is said to have been very proud of a small wooden doll that he had carved from scraps of willow which were left over from boxes used in a festival at Kamigamo shrine in Kyoto. Then using remnants of fabric from his priest's clothing, he dressed the doll by inserting the ends of the fabric into the wooden torso.
Echigo Yoita Forged Blades
The making of Echigo Yoita Uchihamono dates back to the Sengoku period (1428-1573) of unrest. It was then that warring feudal lords who fought alongside Uesugi Kenshin encouraged swordsmiths from Kasugayama into the area and these skilled men began making various kinds of forged blades.
Koshu Lacquered Deerhide
Deerhide craft products were being made in the area centered on the city of Kofu in present-day Yamanashi Prefecture during the 19th century. By the end of the same century, it is known that deerhide draw-string money bags and purses were well known among people at large as reference is made to them in Tokaidochu Hizakurige, a humorous book published in the 19th century.
Yamanaka Lacquer Ware
The origins of this craft date back to the second half of the 16th century, when a group of craftsmen moved into the area in search of good materials and began turning bowls and other things.
Kagawa Lacquer Ware
Kagawa Shikki started at the end of the Edo period (1600-1868), by Tamakaji Zokoku, a famous lacquerer with the development of new techniques that came into being by combining traditional Japanese techniques with skills such as kinma and zonsei which had been brought to Japan from Thailand and China.
The origins of the Ogatsu Suzuri can be traced back to the Muromachi period (1392-1573). Then, at the beginning of the 17th century, two inkstones were presented to the military commander, Date Masamune, who was on a deer hunt on Toojima, an island off the Ojika Peninsular. It seems that he was highly delighted with the stones and reciprocated generously.
The kiln set up by the feudal lord of the local Kuroda clan, in the 17th century at the beginning of the Edo period (1600-1868), was the first to be set up in Chikuzen in northern Kyushu. Large porcelain urns, jars and sake flasks were made under the name of Nakano yaki but in the middle of the 18th century, pottery was being produced under the name of Koishiwara Yaki.
Agano Yaki dates back to the 17th century, when Hosokawa Tadaoki, who became the feudal lord of the Kokura clan in 1602, invited a Korean potter to come to Japan and had members of his clan construct a noborigama--one of the famous ""climbing kilns--in Agano.